Club drug linked to several deaths is rising in popularity

Sweating profusely and trembling, 22 year old Dan Arango told his roommates he had discovered the secrets of the universe. Then he went to sleep and never woke up. Arango, on Feb. 2, became the first person in Miami Dade County to die from taking a drug called alpha-methyltryptamine, or AMT, which he bought through the Internet. Police are, now bracing for the onslaught of the drug, which is becoming popular. It has been linked to a few deaths nationwide, most of them in the Midwest. The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration says that there have been reports of the drug in more than a dozen states.

Source:, April 2003

Back to top of page

Powered by WordPress